[Dshield] [OT] crippled POP3 service: is this legal?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sat Aug 2 19:48:41 GMT 2003

Thks for your opinion, Rick. I agree with you. FWIW, it is not that I am
considering to subscribe to this particular ISP -- my decision as a user
would have been 'drop it' as soon as I realized this. The thing is that
I work for a company which is developing a software that will be used by
users of this ISP (among others) to interact with their email accounts
(but _not_ delete msgs), and we're expecting all kinds of trouble if
msgs start 'disappearing' from their accounts =/

But, I guess you're right, RFCs are only guidelines, so legally these
guys can do whatever they want with it...

Best,

Andre

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 14:21:00 -0500
"Rick Klinge" <rick at jaray.net> wrote:

> Well, fwiw the rfc's are just guidelines that most of the internet
> community upholds and supports.  There is absolutely nothing you can
> do about your isp's decision to 'charge extra' for storing your email
> - except to not use them.  With all the free email services available
> to the world I'd suspect your isp will lose many of its' clients.
> Hotmail, for example, gives you basic 'free' storage.. anything over a
> preset size will cost you more (like most email admins - we're not
> inclined to use email servers as "file storage servers") There is very
> little to no legal issues concerning email.  In the united states
> there are separate laws per state that prohibit uce/spam and rumor of
> some non enforceable federal laws too.  To my knowledge there is no
> ultimate enforcer of the rfc's.  I wouldn't think that your isp's
> decision to limit pop email storage to "0" will last very long.
>
> ~Rick

Andre Oliveira da Costa