[Dshield] [OT] crippled POP3 service: is this legal?

Doug doug at dwhite.ws
Sat Aug 2 21:06:53 GMT 2003

I have observed a movement among some ISPs toward auto-deleting "read" email
from the email server to conserve disk space.  They haven't, (as yet) adopted
the practice of deleting mail that has not been read, although Hotmail (and some
others) will delete your mail if you have not logged in within a specified
number of days.   Only smaller email providers will still provide IMAP mail
storage (for a small fee).   Most providers strongly encourage the user to
download the mail to the local computer and allow the deletion at the server
level, as in that way they can concentrate their resources on mail transport,
and not mail storage.

>From a privacy perspective, I would assume it would be the better option to POP
your email to the local machine and allow it to be deleted from the server.  The
provider's server logs will still reveal the email messages you have received
and from what IP (mail server) it came from, but not the message itself.

Currently, the only way the Patriot spies can read your email is to place an
intercept online or serve the ISP with papers requiring them to forward a copy
of all your email to an address provided by the spy agency.

This address is  virus scanned by ANTIVIR
http://www.dwhite.ws
mailto:doug at dwhite.ws