[Dshield] [OT] crippled POP3 service: is this legal?

Rick Klinge rick at jaray.net
Sat Aug 2 22:08:42 GMT 2003

> Currently, the only way the Patriot spies can read your email is to place
an
> intercept online or serve the ISP with papers requiring them to forward a
copy
> of all your email to an address provided by the spy agency.

There's the kicker 'Currently'.. fwiw, I believe Cisco has already produced
software/routers that will allow for the 'wire tap' functionality of all
traffic.  One could easily implement the Majic Lantern or Aardvark projects
at that level and trigger intercept via packet analysis - in real time.
Further rapid response, DHS personnel, could then act upon the data faster
then a 911 distress call.  Pretty much Buck Rogers stuff for sure.  The
other problem is the physical evidence portion of this.. which pulls this OT
thread way Off Topic. ;-)

~Rick