[Dshield] DCOM Question...

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Tue Aug 5 11:50:17 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 10:25, Richard Golodner wrote:
> 	I am wondering if someone from the group could update me on what
> ports they are blocking at their firewalls other than the usual 135,
> 137,138,139. All of this patching has gotten to be quite a PIA. Thanks for
> the info...You may email me off list in order to keep the noise level as low
> as possible. kid at aetea.com

I block EVERYTHING inbound!  "Deny by default", and open up those ports
I use (which I serve data on.)  I do permit inbound traffic where I have
initiated the connection.  I don't filter that much outbound, though I
do have some IPs/domains on a personal "IDP" (Internet death penalty).

Of course, this doesn't mean I don't have to patch.  Yep, it is sure a
PITA, but being awakened by your ISP to find out your machines have
turned into attack zombies is no fun either.  And, if your EMPLOYER
wakes you up, and tells you that 70,000+ systems are all trying to kill
each other and every network device they can find -- that is a
redefinition of PITA.

--
---
Cheers,