[Dshield] Routers

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Wed Aug 6 12:58:42 GMT 2003

I'm not sure if you are asking a question here or not, but
I'll throw in my US$0.02.

You can save money if your router doesn't have to do the
PPPoE stuff. If your internet "modem" (cable or DSL) support
ethernet, then you can get a lower end router.

I like my Linksys. It will "stop listening" to an IP that it
thinks is portscanning you. That is a very nice feature that
I haven't seen in some other routers. I have friends that use
Netgear, and they like those as well.

As far as an "always on" system, how do you plan on achieving
that WITHOUT a UPS? I have an inexpensive <$200 UPS that will
keep my system running for about 20 mins and then perform an
orderly shutdown ... and then boot it back up when the power
comes on. I also keep my monitor on a separate UPS. That
bought me 15 minutes on the system UPS.

Hope this helps,
Keith.