[Dshield] Road Runner

Leone, Michael michael_leone at merck.com
Wed Aug 6 13:11:24 GMT 2003

Comcast (back when it was called @home) used to scan certain ports a lot
every so often the same ports. So I bound netcat to those ports and had it
stream /dev/urandom to whatever tried to connect to the ports. 2 days of
that and I never had a scan any of the ports again. :-)

I then had a problem with DoS attacks and sent detailed logs to the abuse
department and they never did a thing, even customer service said "wait till
it stops, that's all you can do", until I called customer support after 2
days and said they either stop the attacks or I want my money back for that
month and I want my contract canceled, even though I had 4 months left on
it. They changed my ip and all was fine again.

Nowadays since @home went belly up. <sarcasm> Oh Gee, I wonder why?
</sarcasm> Comcast runs things and you make a report to abuse and 5 seconds
later they call you and help you out. They take DoS attacks and spam very
seriously, I have never received one iota of spam on my Comcast account. My
Penn State account however is usually 99% spam. I only use Yahoo and Hotmail
accounts when I buy stuff and those I  keep on permission status, so I need
to specify the address or wildcard of the sender for it to even show up in
my inbox. But I am fed up with my PSU account and they won't do a thing. So
I usually send all the spam to Spamcop. Believe it or not It does make a big
difference.

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA), and/or
its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst,
Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted
and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended
recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return
this by e-mail and then delete it.