[Dshield] Routers

Dean_Larson@May-Co.com Dean_Larson at May-Co.com
Wed Aug 6 13:21:02 GMT 2003

i have noticed at home, the linksys router doesn't do much to block udp
traffic.  it seems to pass right through it.  i see a few udp probes the
other side of it each day.  in particular dns (port 53) packets.  if anyone
uses this firewall, to be sure to have another firewall (even if it is a
personal firewall on any machine inside the linksys firewall)

                      Johannes Ullrich
                      <jullrich at euclid         To:      General DShield Discussion List <list at dshield.org>
                      ian.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [Dshield] Routers
                      list-bounces at dsh
                      ield.org

                      08/06/2003 08:02
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to General
                      DShield
                      Discussion List

I used linksys routers off and on and have been happy with them so far.
The firewall is basic and functional. Just the right product for a home
user and AFAIK, it comes quite secure by default.

(I only used the 4 port version).

The only problem I have seen with Linksys equipment is that they do not
handle as many systems as advertised. About 30 systems is probably the
maximum. But if you have that many systems, you probably should get a
different product.

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 08:08, Leone, Michael wrote:
> For my home network I plan on replacing my router, a 2year old netgear
> 4-port. I am in the process of looking for an 8 port router/switch that
has
> a decent firewall and a decent price. I really don't want to spend more
than
> $90. I see the Linksys BEFSR81 for $89.99 at circuit city, and about $83
> ordered online.
>
> I could use the smoothwall on a spare box, but I need something that will
> kickback instantly if the power goes down and then comes back on, and I
> don't want to buy another UPS. I need something quick, easy, painless and
> will recover automatically. Maybe a quick reboot here or there.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

> Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
> information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA),
and/or
> its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck
Frosst,

         support at covad.net