[Dshield] Routers

Doug doug at dwhite.ws
Wed Aug 6 14:34:17 GMT 2003

I did a usability comparison between Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, and the SMC
"Barricade"
To make a long story short, I dumped all of them in favor of the SMC router.
First, it is the only router that I have found in the "home user" price range
that will fully support both Wireless and Wired connections without problems.
The firewall is very easy to configure, and is very effective at preventing
intrusions.  The wireless part, I have set up on MAC Lockdown.  I placed a 16
port SMC switch in front of it to get the multiple connections I needed for my
home network.  The router appears to be supporting all this just fine.

I was led to SMC as a long time user of their switches (both managed and
unmanaged, and have always been impressed with the quality and functionality.

I am anxiously awaiting for prices to come down of 802.11g equipment for better
throughput.

The local cable company here distributes Linksys wireless routers with their
cable broadband plans, and most of them are left in default configuration,
allowing unauthorized connections by neighbors.  I guess as users get more
sophisticated, every other residence will learn to connect to their neighbor's
router and hijack free broadband connections.

This address is filtered through the open relay database at http://www.ordb.org
and is virus scanned by ANTIVIR
http://www.dwhite.ws
mailto:doug at dwhite.ws