[Dshield] Routers

Leone, Michael michael_leone at merck.com
Wed Aug 6 18:14:43 GMT 2003

I don't use wireless, I ran cat5 throughout my house, so every room that has
a phone jack also has a data jack right next to it.

The only wireless I use is the MDS iNet 900 Ethernet bridge with a yagi
antenna on it. It gets a 30 miles range and uses microwave and high-end
encryption. I have a slave station at another location 2.5 miles away and I
have a simple 5 port switch on it.

Its not super-fast but its used by nasa a lot and its very secure.

But that's straying from my point. I need a new wired router, 8 ports for
about $90 and less. So far Linksys and the SMC are the 2 in my direct price
range. I haven't heard much about the smc, except one horror story about the
barricades 4-port little brother - but that was more a customer service
thing.

--
Michael C. Leone
Lab Automation and Data Integration
Michael_Leone at merck.com
Work: 732-594-3900
Cell: 908-278-9387

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA), and/or
its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst,
Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted
and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended
recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return
this by e-mail and then delete it.