[Dshield] Re: Disappointing FBI Security Issue

Gary Warner gar at askgar.com
Mon Aug 11 18:15:57 GMT 2003

I'd be curious what email you sent to and where you got it from.

Nationally, the FBI's Innocent Images program has made over 3,000 child
pornography related arrests.  It sounds like the problem might be that
you didn't do very much research.  People are quick to blame government
for problems that may be their own lack of research.

For instance, if you want to send something to the Chicago FBI about
kiddie-porn, I would start by going to their website:

   http://chicago.fbi.gov/

Then I would probably click "Investigative Programs" to learn which of
the 34 squads at the Chicago FBI might be the appropriate place to send
my information.

   http://chicago.fbi.gov/programs.htm

There you would see that the recommended course of action "To report the
sexual exploitation of children, including web sites containing child
pornography" would be to go to:

   http://www.missingkids.com/cybertip/

This would get you to the National Center for Missing and Exploited
Children, who are providing a valuable service to Law Enforcement by
helping to collate and database-itize the incoming reports so that new
reports can be checked against open cases, and duplicate reports can be
merged together to make a "bigger" case against an offender.

They will NOT have a full mailbox.

Chicago did a press release just this week on a child porn case:

   http://chicago.fbi.gov/pressrel/2003/aug-7.htm