[Dshield] DCOM morning after

Craig Shaw CraigS at caamb.mb.ca
Tue Aug 12 17:15:14 GMT 2003

OK, thought I'd weigh in here on the side of large enterprises...

Many companies make it a policy not to implement a fix until it has been
tested thoroughly. In some cases, a month isn't much time to test a given
hotfix or patch on a large network. Especially when you consider that
regular duties / fires / projects can interrupt that work. Many departments
have limited resources for this kind of thing.

So, if you're all protected and patched and snug, weathering the storm, that
great for you. But let's not start throwing stones at those poor, overworked
sysadmins who might not have the resources / support / staff combinations
you do.

For the record, we're a small shop, and patching is fairly easy for us to
accomplish because of the tools we have in place. However, I know many
organizations are not so lucky.

Craig Shaw
Systems Administrator
CAA Manitoba