[Dshield] connection between svchost errors and RPC/DCOM expl oit

Craig Shaw CraigS at caamb.mb.ca
Tue Aug 12 19:18:35 GMT 2003

Keith,

I don't know the details, but I do know that the DCom exploit manifests
itself as a problem with SVCHost. Patched systems are still vulnerable to a
DOS condition, and pre-SP3 Win2K systems that have the DCom service disabled
are still vulnerable until a reboot.

Craig Shaw
Systems Administrator
CAA Manitoba