[Dshield] DCOM morning after(a little off topic)

Micheal Patterson micheal at cancercare.net
Wed Aug 13 12:50:45 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "isaac perez" <pobletman at hotmail.com>
To: <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 6:08 AM
Subject: RE: [Dshield] DCOM morning after(a little off topic)

> How Mike says it's imposible find a software without any bugs, but the
> possible it's to apply the patches before anyone can make a worm or a
> exploit that use a bug.
> I suppose a lot of people had understod the importance of patching when
the
> patch its delivered no when the exploit its making a dissaster.

Patching is always important. However you must understand that placing
patches on a production machine without first ensuring that the system isn't
destroyed in the process is just as important. Due to MS's track record, not
all patches are good patches to put on all systems immediately. While I've
no problems in patching workstations, I do have problems placing patches and
service packs on production servers just because MS say's that the patch
will work. I simply don't trust them. Too many times, I've seen and had to
fight with various servers that were literally destroyed due to screwed up
patches and service packs to just go run up and install anything that MS
dumps out without checking it first.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration