Developing secure software. Was: Re: [Dshield] DCOM morning after

Paul Fottler paulf at salem.cc
Wed Aug 13 17:25:12 GMT 2003

Greetings!!

I have to agree with Jon regarding this. While I was not employed as a programmer/developer, I was network support at a U.S. Navy base involved with development of weapon and tracking systems. In conversation with the developers, I learned of the high standards their programs met. The main resaon for this in my mind, and the minds of those developers, is simple: LIVES depended on this code. If there were bugs or errors, the people using it could, and probably would, die. Because of this, the management was willing to spend the money to make sure everything is done right; taking the time to both develop and test. Also, the people sitting at their computers writing the code or testing it every day had that thought in their minds. They wanted to make DAMN SURE their programs worked perfectly to protect LIVES.

Now, take a commercial software company as a comparison. My roommate is a QA tester, and a few of our friends are as well. They regale me with stories of the sloppy, cost/corner-cutting methods that both the overly-pressured programmers as well as  management use to "ship it by the deadline". This deadline is generally set by marketing department lackeys who decide ship-dates based on things like "we should have this product out two weeks before Christmas" or "this would be great as a back-to-school promo" or company financial-related things (end-of quarter sales), nothing having to do with actual project estimates. My roommate reported that in several cases, the testing team was directly told "you will ignore this bug, we will not be fixing it" on bugs that were terminal (i.e. CRASH the program or system). He was even disciplined for submitting one such bug to their tracking system after having been told at a meeting to ignore it. In commercial software, it's all about sell!
ing the product and getting the CASH.

Paul Fottler
Information Systems Lead
Salem Communications