[Dshield] I refuse to "whitelist" the word "p-nis"

David Hart DavidHart at TQMcube.com
Wed Aug 13 18:16:42 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 13:53, Jeff Godin wrote:

> David-
>
> Sounds like you're having some mail filtering issues. If you're bouncing
> messages from the list and you are unable to tell what you are bouncing,
> feel free to reference the archives. The URL, included in every message
> distributed to the list, is http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/list/
>
> If you reject mail from mailing lists, expect to miss messages. Simple.
>
> Perhaps you could whitelist the list.

Thanks. We were experimenting with some new patterns and lost some valid
mail but we watched it very closely.

With Postfix, I can whitelist around envelope values. For example, while
we don't accept mail from Yahoo, we can accept accept (after some
struggling) mailing list messages regardless of origination.

However, once you get past the envelope, there is absolutely no way top
whitelist around header or body values. This is a constant (ongoing)
debate with Postfix's author Wietse Venema.

All in all though we have five users (including roaming). we get about
4,500 emails per week and perhaps one or two spams get through each day.
Our valid rejects are generally zero.

We cannot use any third party solutions like RBLs for a variety of
reasons.