[Dshield] Port 135 attack on a friends computer

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Fri Aug 15 15:20:45 GMT 2003

Ok, so a friend of mine came to me and said that her home
computer had been infected by the worm. Her husband blamed
her for the infection. I asked her why she hadn't patched the
box, since the patches were available July 16.

I come to find out that her husband had her set up as
a "limited user" account, so she couldn't have patched the
machine if she wanted to. To add insult to this, she
didn't "do" anything that caused the virus to be installed.
It simply hit the exposed port, and then infected the machine.

Anyhow, I sent her home with all this information and a
printout from Technet of the patch (dated July 16), and she
vindicated herself.

I just thought that was funny.

Keith.
"Life is like an analogy"