[Dshield] power outages all across..,

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Fri Aug 15 21:20:48 GMT 2003

We are still all speculating.  Then again so too was the media when they
reported so and so said it wasn't this or that.  In my opinion if they
didn't know already what caused it, then it was way too soon for a good
analysis of what happened and assignment of blame and non blame.

That aside, if it was the worm, then an issue remains regarding future
vulnerabilities for other as yet undisclosed buffer overflow defects in
various operating systems.  We all lucked out in that this time the worm
exploiting the vulnerability came out after the vulnerability was
discovered.  Someday one will probably come out and we will "discover" we
were vulnerable after someone else has already exploited the unrealized
vulnerability.  A little paranoia is a good thing.

Re: [Dshield] power outages all across North Eastern US