[Dshield] d-shield, who are they?

Daniels566@cs.com Daniels566 at cs.com
Sat Aug 16 02:40:43 GMT 2003

I guess I just had to jump in on this. (I'll keep it short)
I pick up my daughter at school and she tells me their PC's (hers a laptop)
at school got hit with the blaster. She said they were all doing a project then
windows notified them (all at once) that it was shutting down. It started a
countdown so every one in the class started to chime in with the count down.
Before it got to 0 the teacher pulled the plug and told every one to turn off
the power. My daughter said that the teacher later got word that the entire
school districts all got hit. Then she informs me that the day before she had
bought a floppy home and put it in my machine. She said she ran a virus check and
it looked clean. Then she said she tried to execute it but it didn't work. I
said what happened and she said the only thing came up in notepad was a bunch
of code. I told her she just executed it but notepad did not recognize the
format. It's a 98SE and I checked it thoroughly just in case. I told her never to
put any strange disks in the PC. Her school since receiving a generous grant
last year has the most updated windows machines and software on the Market not
to mention the cad and scientific programs available. But a lousy fail-safe
setup? Since the school is networked to the whole school system it is vulnerable
to anything. I wondered how many infected disks might find it's way to
another machine and so on.

The news media didn't even mention it. I listened to the major news casters
and they have little or no knowledge on Internet security. Then it dawned on me
that the few people they rely on do not give a significant understanding to
the public about security issues. Dah! Dahhhh! I thought about dshield and all
the resourceful members it has. Mmmm, wouldn't it be nice if dshield could be
consulted on various security topics by the media. I wouldn't bet on it but
you guys and gals deserve some accreditation and the public would be more the
wiser.

John Daniels

I would rather drink a sour lemon-aid then go to WUD for a bandaid.
 Warning: my PC wears braces with fangs attached