[Dshield] How to get patched without getting infected?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Sat Aug 16 20:27:01 GMT 2003

Greetings:

First, let me preface this with I am not a Windows expert by any means... (we are primarily a Solaris shop and we only have a few old NT/4.0 systems that we are slowly getting rid of, and these are on an isolated internal network behind several fire walls) so this question never occurred to me:

I just had someone call who said that they had a PC using Windows/XP that was unpatched. They had not been on the Internet since last weekend. However, now they were afraid to go on the Internet because of the worm. They wanted to know how they could patch their system without first going on the Internet to get the patch and risk getting infected while downloading the patch.

I am clueless how to answer their question... any thoughts?

Also, is the old URL Microsoft gave for the DCOM patch still usable?

Thanks!
Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA