[Dshield] Message from M$

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Mon Aug 18 15:10:17 GMT 2003

By way of counterpoint:

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 08:34:23PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Sunday, August 17, 2003 7:44 PM -0500 Micheal Patterson
> <micheal at cancercare.net> wrote:
>
> >5. Now MS sends a letter telling people how to patch against this one and
> >how safe they are if they've applied the patch and how they're striving to
> >provide all and any available information on this exploit, and any other
> >"worms and virus's that occur".
>
> While it's fashionable to bash MS, I can't see them doing anything more
> than they've done to notify people of the patch. They have a security
> announcement mailing list, they have Windows update, yet there were all
> these systems that ignored the apparatus and remained unpatched. Ultimately
> this one lies at the feet of the admins (including residential users who
> for whatever reason turn away the automatic updates).

"Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall acknowledged that the blame does
not really lie with customers.

"Ultimately, it's a flaw in our software," he said."

It really is 'way past time for many, many people to stop being
apologists for Micro$oft.

They are simply the largest, most powerful (software) company in the
world.

It is 'way past time to demand more from them, and if they won't
deliver, take a strong stand and move away from them.

- John
--
"Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures."