[Dshield] Re: intrusion attempts

David Hart DavidHart at TQMcube.com
Mon Aug 18 18:50:58 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 14:17, Kenneth Coney wrote:
> He is not alone.  I blocked my RPC ports over a year or two ago (back when
> there was an issue with MS Instant Messenger qm and Lexmark started adding
> RPC calls to their printer installation in anticipation of the new XP), and
> I am fully patched.

While I'm a nitwit compared to this group, I'm a veritable wizard
compared to most of my friends and business associates. That's not
saying much because the average user hasn't a CLUE. There are an awful
lot of people running insecure systems with always-on broadband
connections. I have clients with supposedly erudite systems
administrators that have (now had) open relays. People install software
without a second of thought to either security or privacy. With
broadband increasing daily, it has become a frightening prospect that
one of these days something really malicious is going to come along that
will spread like wildfire and create real havoc. Would it shock anyone
if the blackout was caused by a hack?

--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
   Email acceptance policy: http://www.TQMcube.com/email_policy.html