[Dshield] Linux A/V Recommendation?

Leone, Michael michael_leone at merck.com
Tue Aug 19 18:38:00 GMT 2003

Back in the days long before time, there existed a universe where virii
didn't exist in the realm of the eubergeeks. This was long before the bloat
came to claim our stability. The king of the Eubergeek realm, the Kernel was
slim and slender. He was a fit and strapping young kernel. But as the
kiddies wanted their 'eye-candy' and their scanners, printers, web cams,
mp3s and Xvids our dearly beloved kernel has become weak, overweight, and
prone to illness. He was never an attention seeker, but attention soon
grasped him. As he became better known, people who thought they were cool
wanted to harm him with evil code that would disable him. But along came a
group of radical conservatives who wanted to keep the slim lined kernel safe
from the dangers of obesity, especially after the coup-de-tad claiming the
2.0.x kernels to the out-of-turn, and unrealistic skriptkiddie 2.1.x and
2.2.x kernels, the love of stability was lost in a sea of /dev/. Soon after
the breakup, the cholesterol-adding coders soon were padding on the pounds
to other parts of the operating system, claiming everything in the name of
compatibility. Eventually the bloat-free conservatives moved to FreeBSD, to
nickname it "Bloat-FreeBSD", but the war continues as the compatibility
kiddie's fight to fatten the other Operating systems all in the name of
"eliteness".

Anyhow, Red hat has some more fat around its belly than Slack and Deb. The
latter are more like FreeBSD, while the former is like SuSE, and Mandrake.
But what distinguishes any linux distribution, check them out, the only real
thing they have in common is usually the Kernel, but sometimes it ends
there. The command files are sometimes alike, other times use different
builds. But look real close at the distributions and you will see what a
virus would normally infect isn't the kernel itself, but the overlying
organization of the OS. Sometimes the virus is contained to a specific
program (sendmail, bind, etc.) to corrupt the usability of the computer.
Sometimes code that was written exclusively for slack won't run on red hat
without some 'tweaking'. Mainly due to paths, but sometimes functions also
differ. Which leads me to my point, that since Red hat is so popular, that
some viruses are written almost exclusively for it, hence rendering Red Hat
the most prone.