[Dshield] e-mail ettiquette

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Aug 20 19:01:57 GMT 2003

"Johannes B. Ullrich" wrote:

> Just a quick note:
>
> Please make sure that your virus filter is NOT
> sending notifications to the sender of the virus. Sobig, and most recent
> viruses, spoof the sender. As a result, innocent people (like myself)
> are flooded with notifications.

Johannes, please clarify...

Usually, programs like MIMEDefang and AMaViS give at least four options on how to handle viruses:
   1) Strip viruses and deliver to recipient (we NEVER do this).
   2) Strip viruses and deliver to recipient; send notice to envelope-sender (we NEVER do this either).
   3) Bounce the message (we do this)
   4) Discard the message (we do this if it is to a role account)

By your comment, do you mean don't do "2" or don't do either "2" or "3"? (I think I would have a problem with "don't do 3.")

Also, my comments above apply to messages we relay; we do not do local delivery on our incoming MTAs.

Thanks!
Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA