[Dshield] Re: MSN update e-mail

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Aug 21 00:36:39 GMT 2003

I had 7 in one of my Hotmail accounts, but none in the other one this morning.

Re: [Dshield] MSN update e-mail
From:
Sten-Arne Zerpe <zerpe at zerpe.ath.cx>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:15:51 +0200
To:
General DShield Discussion List <list at dshield.org>

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:38:02 -0500.
With the Message-ID: <024401c36741$ce8abd80$255b8b42 at lakeside>
And the Organization Header: .
The famous author: "Doug White" <doug at clickdoug.com>.
Wrote on the subject: Re: [Dshield] MSN update e-mail:

>>According to the notice on the Microsoft update web site, this email did not
>>originate from Microsoft, and should be considered both a hoax, and spam.

How can it be considered a hoax, when the required Upgrade notice is
posted on this URL which indeed is Microsofts:
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx

Anyhow, it seems as if these upgrade e-mails only were sent to non
hotmail E-mail addresses, only those registering their private addys with
.NET.

I got three of the same to this addy I use here, but none on any of my
hotmail addys.

Oh, checking google groups for the hmdelivery.com, which appears in the
headers of these mails, seems to give a clue about this type of
"spamming" having happened before. Long ugly URL coming.