[Dshield] Re: did windowsupdate finally crack?

Serge Vondandamo svondandamo at mercury-eur.com
Thu Aug 21 18:13:34 GMT 2003

Hi,

I do administer a large network spread in several countries and I do use
UpdateExpert to handle updates and patches.

With this product I do download all the patches in a Central location in my
network and start distributing them locally on computers.

The application checks windowsupdate sites based on the admin'schedules then
download patches to a Central Location in my networks.

The I do use Scriptlogic for writing scripts that will verify users settings
during log on process and patches/updates they machines accordingly by
requesting the appropriate patches from the Patches Central location and not
downloading them from Microsoft sites.

As you can imagine several Admins of Larger networks do have similar tools
and procedures so, I don't think Admins are to blame since they even use
more advance techniques and procedures for patches management.

You wrote:

" According to a friend who works for Microsoft - the "Thank you" age is
displayed
when the server is overloaded"

That is the problem and all the blame should go to them.
How can Microsoft explain customers who pay millions of dollars to buy its
products that, "Sorry, you can't download patches because my Server is
overloaded"? Can't they buy Several Servers to serve the customer need?
They can (they do have the bucks and people for that) buy several Servers
and load balance them enough to avoid such things.

I think patches priority and management lessons should be directed to
Microsoft and not the SysAdmins.

Cheers
Serge