[Dshield] Network utility, but which one?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Thu Aug 21 20:14:17 GMT 2003

Bob:

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:58:02PM -0500, Bob Savage wrote:
> This is embarrassing.  I have in my hand a print from a utility.
First line says, "Interesting ports on [machine_name] ([IP number]):"
That's followed by three columns of data.  The first is "Port", second
is "State", third is "Service".

> I'm sure I learned about this little program from this group not too
long ago, and I'm pretty sure it runs from a command prompt.  My age
is obviously catching up to me because beyond that I'm drawing a
blank.

> Can someone please tell me what produces this report?

"interesting ports on..."

sounds like nmap, see:

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

- John
--
"Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures."