[Dshield] W32.Gibe.B@mm Virus

David Stimpson dstimpson at btopenworld.com
Sun Aug 24 16:35:21 GMT 2003

Hi all

As I am not a power user of this group and I am a bit of a novice I did
not know whether this is worthy of mention.  Anyway I received this mail
today with a Virus attached.  It was intercepted by Norton Internet
Security and I quarantined it - Norton could not fix it even though I
have the latest Virus definitions.

The mail was addressed from

Microsoft Corporation Internet Public Assistance
[ccefirvlp_303180 at MeDMCvjTR.com]

With Subject Heading

Network Security Pack

Attached to the mail was a file proporting to be a Cumulative Patch
which should be used to repair vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer,
Outlook and Outlook Express

File Name - Patch752-68.exe

The Virus was identified as in the subject of this mail

by praseodumium with esmtp (Exim 3.22 #23)

id 19qtsr-000539-00; Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:22:14 +0100

(InterMail vM.5.01.06.04 201-253-122-130-104-20030726) with SMTP

id <20030824122152.OKNJ11854.lakemtao02.cox.net at ktRLzR>;

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:21:52 -0400

FROM: "Microsoft Corporation Internet Public Assistance"
<ccefirvlp_303180 at MeDMCvjTR.com>

TO: "MS Corporation Consumer" < >

SUBJECT: Network Security Pack