[Dshield] NAT: Secure?

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Wed Aug 27 12:49:59 GMT 2003

Please pardon the basic question, but I'm filling holes in my
understanding of firewalls, and figure this is a good place to do so.

How secure is NAT? One sees advertised dozens of inexpensive broadband
routers with simple NAT firewalls (which isn't really a firewall, I
know; the firewall is a side effect of the purpose of NAT), and I wonder
if the public isn't being taken by depending on these devices.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region
If you would like to discuss an opportunity with me, please e-mail.