[Dshield] OT: Dropping Domains

Shawn Berg shawn at saeweb.com
Wed Aug 27 13:01:58 GMT 2003

... anyone??

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces at dshield.org [mailto:list-bounces at dshield.org]On
Behalf Of Shawn Berg
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 12:53 PM
To: list at dshield.org
Subject: [Dshield] OT: Dropping Domains

Just as a preface to what I am about to ask, I will stress the fact that I
am not in any way shape or form an advocate of cyber-squatting as it is so
called (purchasing a domain name with intent to sell it to another company
for profit, etc.).

I am, however, curious, as to how some companies are able to provide lists
of domain names which have been dropped by the registrars. You cannot simply
go off of the expiration date as each registrar holds the domains names
after the expiration date for various amounts of time. I know it is
definitely possible as there are services out there such as

http://www.dohmains.com/
http://www.exody.com

etc... How do these companies figure out when a domain name is dropped from
the root servers? I've been curious for years now how it's done and still
can't figure out how.
---

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.