[Dshield] NAT: Secure?

Micheal Patterson micheal at cancercare.net
Wed Aug 27 14:04:21 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Frayer" <afrayer at frayernet.com>
To: <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 7:49 AM
Subject: [Dshield] NAT: Secure?

> Please pardon the basic question, but I'm filling holes in my
> understanding of firewalls, and figure this is a good place to do so.
>
> How secure is NAT? One sees advertised dozens of inexpensive broadband
> routers with simple NAT firewalls (which isn't really a firewall, I
> know; the firewall is a side effect of the purpose of NAT), and I wonder
> if the public isn't being taken by depending on these devices.

> Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
> Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region
> If you would like to discuss an opportunity with me, please e-mail.

Provided that there are no static nat entries pointing back to internal
hosts / ports, then I'd say it is one of the most secure methods of internet
connectivity. NAT is pretty much a one way door with outbound traffic
leaving, for a short time, an opening allowing a response from the contacted
remote host and port combination and only from that host/port combination.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.