[Dshield] NAT: Secure?

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Wed Aug 27 15:47:44 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 10:04, Micheal Patterson wrote:

> Provided that there are no static nat entries pointing back to internal
> hosts / ports, then I'd say it is one of the most secure methods of internet
> connectivity. NAT is pretty much a one way door with outbound traffic
> leaving, for a short time, an opening allowing a response from the contacted
> remote host and port combination and only from that host/port combination.

Since NAT users can't switch off ports, and since they activate ports
all the time with their IM and pop-up traffic, is it really that secure?
I read about steps we need to take to close ports on commercial
firewalls, and I wonder what is there to protect the home network?

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region
If you would like to discuss an opportunity with me, please e-mail.