[Dshield] Can you copyright a picture of a dialog box?

Bjorn Stromberg bjorn at thechemistrylab.com
Wed Aug 27 17:30:31 GMT 2003

I was reading up on MSBlast on Computer Associate's Virus Encyclopedia when
I noticed a disturbing little addition to their images: "Image Copyright ©
CA"

How do you copyright a microsoft windows dialog box? or even an image of a
microsoft windows dialog box? If I get an error message as shown in their
copyrighted image am I infringing on Computer Associate's copyrights? If I
take a screenshot of my computer's dialog box will Computer Associates sue
me for copyright infringement? I think the use of copyrights is getting out
of hand.

Relevant pics are found:
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/showimage.aspx?caid=36265&name=poza_shutdown.gif
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/showimage.aspx?caid=36265&name=poza_crash2k.gif
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/showimage.aspx?caid=36265&name=poza_crashxp.gif

http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36265

Bjorn Stromberg
Mid-Continent Testing Laboratories, Inc.
http://www.TheChemistryLab.com/