[Dshield] its not even Holloween yet?

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Aug 28 17:45:04 GMT 2003

This is of course the doorway leading to the ultimate in virus spreading
nightmare, and the dream of Script Kiddies and Lunnites everywhere.

I have no knowledge, but I would imagine some in the HR Dept. of Symantec
probably consider their counterparts at NSA as being too soft on screening
of applicants.  Like some other groups security departments, employees
might be expected to turn in periodic lists of new friend's SSNs and DOBs
so checks could be run just in case that pretty girl met at the bar last
night was really a plant by a Spam virus writer hoping to gain access to
Symantec procedures.  Who knows?  Remember when the first CD versions of
Win 98 were shipped with a virus installed at the factory by a disgruntled
worker?  One imagines a committee of 20 carefully certifying each update as
the master disk is carried by a team of guards (who are videotaped as they
walk down the hall) to the slot where the next Norton Anti viral update is
placed.

Your post does reassure me on one point.  I sometimes wondered if AV was
temporarily suspended while updating and modifying and if a window of
vulnerability existed.  Apparently not.  Good.