[Dshield] NAT: Secure?

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Thu Aug 28 22:33:27 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 18:07, Micheal Patterson wrote:

> > Would you put the firewall on the outside of the NAT, or on the inside?

> That would depend on the scenerio. If you have more than one real IP that
> you can use, put it outside. If you don't have the IP's to spare, put it
> directly behind the NAT before the LAN switch / Hub.

Funny you would say that, as most broadband routers w/NAT that I've seen
provide one WAN input, then use a built-in hub to distribute the routed
traffic...

However, I got into the broadband idea early, and the NAT is actually
provided by a simple gateway, with a WAN side and a LAN side. Your
suggestion, then, is to put the firewall between this gateway and my hub
or switch. Any suggestions toward a firewall on a small budget? As you
might guess from my signature, I'm not actually very well heeled at the
moment.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region
If you would like to discuss an opportunity with me, please e-mail.