[Dshield] Consensus Question

mokum dshield at meij.net
Wed Dec 3 16:10:54 GMT 2003

Good evening all [its 16:50 in CET]

I don't know about the general concensus, but here's my take:

I do the 'difficult discussion' -before- I take the box. I let them know
in plain text what the *possible* effects might be of the
infection/compromise of there workstation/server.

This is a mood thing really. It is never good to -leave- your customers
in a FUD state.

- talk them through the *possible* risks [like publicly available CC & PWD]
- inform them about *possible* measures to prefent this from happing again
- take control over the machine [depending on the situation on the spot
or out doors]
- made a detailed analysis
- make a plan to prevent this from happening again
- inform customer about plan
- implement plan & mesures [of which customer agrees]
- pass over the control

Hope s/he'll be happy, luckier and smarter from now on :)

Cheers,
mokum