[Dshield] Interesting question

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Dec 4 05:12:45 GMT 2003

Subject: [Dshield] Interesting question
From: "Father Peter Darin" <BDarin at tanaya.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 03:33:35 -0600
To: list at dshield.org

Hello,
I have seen many servers in my area block any and all unresolvable ip
addresses. I have considered this but would llike some opinions and
thoughts of the merits or downfalls of such a blanket approach.
Thank you.

I began experimentaly blocking totally some class As back before Blaster
hit and I at first noticed an immediate reduction in spam to the blocked
account, from 30 a day down to 10.  SA - Bad, Europe - Bad, Asia - Bad,
Africa - Bad, etc.  I did mildly miss Australia, but decided I could live
without the TDS updates.  Everything was fine, then Blaster hit and
suddenly I was getting tons of spam and pings again.  At one point I was up
to 140 emails a day.  As other computers get patched things have quiteted
down and I am back down to 40 or so a day.  The target goal is 3 legitimate
emails a day.