[Dshield] He thinks he is bulletproof, is he?

Stephane Grobety security at admin.fulgan.com
Thu Dec 4 14:32:27 GMT 2003

ML> Personally I think He's got something going there. I don't think he is any
ML> grave danger, at least any that's been used in the past 5 years. Everything
ML> nowadays is for win2k and XP. Unless someone nukes him.

Yes, he's probaly pretty secure... Except the Opera itself isn't proof
against problems.

ML> I don't see any danger, and I think that he's probably smarter than the
ML> rest, although he sounds like my College Advisor with the 16megs of Ram
ML> deal. ;-)

Well, he's probably more secure than my boss who doesn't worry about
anything (hopefully, we have central AV, a pretty decent firewalling
system, VPN, IDS and centralized patch management) but he's less
secure than my grandmother who doesn't OWN a computer.

It's really all about trade-offs: If he's willing to loose a lot of
time working around problems he created for himself and loosing access
to resources because of his choices in security, good for him.
However, the large majority of computer users don't have that luxury
and moreover his behavior is like proposing we stop using cars because
there are too many accidents. It sure would solve a problem, but it's
not what you can call progress or even improvement.

--
Best regards,
 Stephane                            mailto:security at admin.fulgan.com