[Dshield] He thinks he is bulletproof, is he?

allan.vanleeuwen@orangemail.nl allan.vanleeuwen at orangemail.nl
Thu Dec 4 15:07:55 GMT 2003

Bulletproof ? I don't think so ...

In the DOS era, all my executable files and my harddrive bootsector have
gotten infected with several DOS based virusses.
They only spread through executable files or via the bootsector on
(removable) drives / disks though.... Which of course minimizes the attack
vector.
These virii are not around so much anymore, but a lot of people still
(unknowingly) have version of W95.CIH burnt onto some cdrom or written on to
some floppy. And tell him to upgrade his Opera to the latest version .. As
there was a vulnerability found recently allowing silent installation of
malware through a webpage.
And I remember from a long time ago, by typing a special PING command on a
*nix box, you can keep the CPU on his machine 100% occupied... Even if he
has patched against the ping of death. The ping command was sending
extremely large packets if I remember correctly ....

So no ... He's not really bulletproof, but neither is debian.org or
gentoo.org (as recently proven) and I guess neither is fbi.gov.

My 2c.