[Dshield] He thinks he is bulletproof, is he?

George Capehart capegeo at opengroup.org
Thu Dec 4 15:30:03 GMT 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 09:32 am, Stephane Grobety wrote:

> It's really all about trade-offs:

But that's what security is all about.  It's risk management.  There are
*always* tradeoffs . . .

 If he's willing to loose a lot of
> time working around problems he created for himself and loosing
> access to resources because of his choices in security, good for him.
> However, the large majority of computer users don't have that luxury
> and moreover his behavior is like proposing we stop using cars
> because there are too many accidents.

I didn't read it that way.  It more reminds me of the tag line of the
old Xterra ads:  "Everything you need, nothing you don't."  Sounds like
good security practice to me . . .  ;-)

 It sure would solve a problem,
> but it's not what you can call progress or even improvement.

<sarcasm>
And Windows is an improvement over . . . ummmmm . . . what?
</sarcasm>
--
George Capehart

capegeo at opengroup dot org

PGP Key ID: 0x63F0F642 available on most public key servers

"It is always possible to agglutenate multiple separate problems into a
 single complex interdependent solution.  In most cases this is a bad
 idea."  -- RFC 1925