[Dshield] AOL Broadband

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Thu Dec 4 23:15:45 GMT 2003

I wish to put to this august body a question slightly off-topic:

I am working with a company that is at present connecting two
stand-alone PCs to the Internet via AOL for Broadband (DSL) (one DSL
connection each). This is woefully inefficient, and lacks something in
security (so I thought), so they've agreed to install a network with a
broadband router/firewall. They decided to put in a Linksys Wireless A+G
router/firewall and wireless NICs (due to an inability to hide wires),
which I will have the honor to install.

Today I find that AOL's DSL solution requires a specific client on the
PC to use the DSL connection. Since not everyone using the network has
AOL, and at least one node will actually be a Linux notebook, is there a
way around the AOL client in sharing a single AOL DSL line? Am I about
to get over my head?

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Friends don't let friends use Active Directory
Visit Frayernet - http://www.frayernet.com
Shop at buyneatstuff - http://www.buyneatstuff.net