[Dshield] AOL Broadband

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 03:46:25 GMT 2003

Alan,

Since AOL is most likely reselling another service provider's DSL
service (e.g. Verizon, Bell South, etc) your client is probably better
off getting the service from that provider directly. In the cae of
Verizon at least, you would get a PPPOE connection to their IP network
and, from there, to anywhere you please on the Internet without having
to use any particular client or OS on your client's computers/LAN,  as
long as there is a router (e.g. Negtear/Linksys/Cisco/Dlink, etc)
between those LAN connected computers and the DSL line+Modem.

It does surprise me however if, as you assert, AOL requires its own
client to be used to mediate access to the Internet, because that would
seem to be very cumbersome and provide all the more reason to go
directly to the incumbent telco who owns the local loop as opposed to a
reseller such as AOL. MSN, etc. I should add that I don't have any
particular axe to grind for/against AOL, and though I have been a
customer of their portal/email service for ~10 years with good success,
I don't think they add much value when it comes to DSL services.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International