[Dshield] AOL Broadband

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Fri Dec 5 12:29:11 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 22:46, John Holmblad wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Since AOL is most likely reselling another service provider's DSL
> service (e.g. Verizon, Bell South, etc) your client is probably better
> off getting the service from that provider directly. In the cae of
> Verizon at least, you would get a PPPOE connection to their IP network
> and, from there, to anywhere you please on the Internet without having
> to use any particular client or OS on your client's computers/LAN,  as
> long as there is a router (e.g. Negtear/Linksys/Cisco/Dlink, etc)
> between those LAN connected computers and the DSL line+Modem.

I asked the client about this, and they mentioned that AOL was only
charging them $25 for the DSL connection... about half of what the local
phone company charges. Then, AOL charges them another $20 for the login
account, which I discover to be required to use the DSL, so it balances
out, except they have so much business e-mail coming to their AOL
account, they're effectively married to the company. That's why I was
hoping to get around the client.

> It does surprise me however if, as you assert, AOL requires its own
> client to be used to mediate access to the Internet, because that would
> seem to be very cumbersome and provide all the more reason to go
> directly to the incumbent telco who owns the local loop as opposed to a
> reseller such as AOL. MSN, etc. I should add that I don't have any
> particular axe to grind for/against AOL, and though I have been a
> customer of their portal/email service for ~10 years with good success,
> I don't think they add much value when it comes to DSL services.

It caught me by surprise, too. I tried connecting the DSL modem directly
to the Linux notebook, and could not inspire a connection, but then I
didn't configure it for PPPOE. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can figure out
what needs to go in the Linksys router to make the AOL connection
invisible to non-AOL computers.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Friends don't let friends use Active Directory
Visit Frayernet - http://www.frayernet.com
Shop at buyneatstuff - http://www.buyneatstuff.net