[Dshield] AOL Broadband

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Fri Dec 5 16:56:53 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 11:44, Wayne Larmon wrote:

> > Thanks for the tip, Samantha. I just checked the Linksys site, and found
> > two relevant documents. The first tells me how to configure the router
> > for PPPoE, but the second specifically says I must install AOL 8.0 (or
> > newer?) on EVERY computer. They don't explain why. I can speculate they
> > are suggesting upgrading AOL on all computers, to be able to take
> > advantage of the PPPoE connection, but the way they worded this makes me
> > afraid my non-AOL computers will not be able to use the gateway.
>
> Will this help?
>
> YoLinux Tutorial: AOL and Linux
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html
>
> This tutorial covers the PengAOL software installation and configuration
> necessary for one to connect to AOL using Linux. (uses P3 protocol) It is
> assumed that you have a working telephone modem. (There is also an option
> for using DSL.)
>

> I saw this linked from Slashdot recently.

It might, and I'll keep this handy, but I'd rather not FORCE someone to
use AOL as a service (especially on a notebook that might need to
connect to the Internet through other providers on occasion), unless it
is a last resort.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Friends don't let friends use Active Directory
Visit Frayernet - http://www.frayernet.com
Shop at buyneatstuff - http://www.buyneatstuff.net