[Dshield] AOL Broadband

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Sat Dec 6 02:12:38 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 18:54, Al Reust wrote:

> Take one Win2K Pro (at least, as you did not mention the OS) box that has
> the AOL software installed.
> Turn On Internet connection Sharing.
> Point it at the wireless NIC.
> On the Linux Laptop create a configuration that points the network at the
> Win2K Box - wireless Nic for its Default Gateway. You could even turn on
> NAT for basic DHCP

Hmm... give the AOL box a static private IP... how would I tell the
Linux notebook to take DHCP from the AOL box and not the router? Or
would the router even need to offer DHCP? I wonder how much AOL depends
on DHCP to deliver to the AOL clients?

>  From what I have seen in the past, TCP/IP does work irrespective the P3
> protocol driver that AOL installs. The Win2K then just translates.
> Obviously You would not want to stack very many boxes on the small network.
> Yes the Firewall becomes more important. Yes there are dependencies

Of course I would love to find that P3 (is that what we call PPPoE these
days?) to the router takes care of the connection, and the AOL-based PCs
simply need the new client to talk to the latest and greatest services,
but something tells me that isn't the case. And I've never tried
Internet Sharing through an AOL account, either!

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Friends don't let friends use Active Directory
Visit Frayernet - http://www.frayernet.com
Shop at buyneatstuff - http://www.buyneatstuff.net