[Dshield] FW: Windows 9x Security Update Beta Invite

Brad dshield-list at izallgood.net
Sat Dec 6 22:50:56 GMT 2003

Everything seems to point that the www.betaplace.com belongs to Microsoft,
I find it hard to beleive that Microsoft would have let this go un-noticed
if they were not offering such a program. This site has been hosted in
Microsoft IP space for sometime now, I find it very unlikely that this  is
not authentic.

If somebody just wants your .NET uername/password they put way way to much
time in such an attack. If they are THAT good at makeing an authentic
looking Microsoft website, why not go after a major bank? That would have
a much greater pay off in the type of data they would gain access to.

My guess is that somwhere you clicked  a box or something at said you
would be intrested in beta testing something. The only think I don't
understand is why they just didn't send a link to buy the Windows XP so
that you can get the  latest and greatest that virus writers have to offer
like everybody else.

Thats just my 2c.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.betaplace.com

bash-2.05$ dig www.betaplace.com A

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.betaplace.com A
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.betaplace.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.betaplace.com.      1H IN CNAME     betaplace.com.
betaplace.com.          1H IN A         207.46.242.120

;; Total query time: 179 msec
;; FROM: laluz.izallgood.net to SERVER: default -- 205.232.217.2
;; WHEN: Sat Dec  6 15:44:49 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 35  rcvd: 65

bash-2.05$ whois 207.46.242.120

OrgName:    Microsoft Corp
OrgID:      MSFT
Address:    One Microsoft Way
City:       Redmond
StateProv:  WA
PostalCode: 98052
Country:    US

NetRange:   207.46.0.0 - 207.46.255.255
CIDR:       207.46.0.0/16
NetName:    MICROSOFT-GLOBAL-NET
NetHandle:  NET-207-46-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-207-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Assignment
NameServer: DNS1.CP.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS2.CP.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS1.TK.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS1.DC.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS1.SJ.MSFT.NET
Comment:
RegDate:    1997-03-31
Updated:    2002-12-05

TechHandle: ZM39-ARIN
TechName:   Microsoft
TechPhone:  +1-425-936-4200
TechEmail:  noc at microsoft.com

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE231-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Abuse
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-425-882-8080
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse at microsoft.com

OrgNOCHandle: ZM23-ARIN
OrgNOCName:   Microsoft Corporation
OrgNOCPhone:  +1-425-882-8080
OrgNOCEmail:  noc at microsoft.com

OrgTechHandle: MSFTP-ARIN
OrgTechName:   MSFT-POC
OrgTechPhone:  +1-425-882-8080
OrgTechEmail:  iprrms at microsoft.com

Brad

 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own
 understanding.  Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct
 your paths. -- Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)
 I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have
 looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.
 --President Ronald Reagan