[SPAM Rating - Very High] Re: [Dshield] FW: Windows 9x Security Update Beta Invite

Tom Geairn tgeairn at newviewconsulting.com
Mon Dec 8 17:28:58 GMT 2003

As I spent about 2 hours yesterday at the local Best Buy purchasing a
NIC (1 minute to pick out the NIC and 119 minutes to stand in line and
pay for it), I overheard a "tech" actually telling a purchaser of a new
DSL modem to first install firewall software, then AV software, then the
modem, then patch everything in sight, then run a full AV scan.  I was
shocked that she actually spent the time to explain all of this to the
customer.  Good for her.

NOW, if only we can get MS to make these type of patch CDs available to
the stores selling to retail customers and require their installation of
patches BEFORE hooking up to the 'net...

-Tom Geairn