[SPAM Rating - Very High] Re: [Dshield] FW: Windows 9x SecurityUpdate Beta Invite

John Dalton dubuque_1 at msn.com
Tue Dec 9 04:42:24 GMT 2003

Tom,
    Thanks for the compliment, just started at Best Buy and have to say as a
tech (Black Shirt :), that they support being the customers best technical
friend. Although I would like to have more knowledge, we do offer to the
customers a customization package, where we update with rollup 1 and any
other patches needed, updated Explorer to latest sp, antivirus definitions
to the latest for the AV installed if possible and emphasize to the customer
the importance of making sure to keep the windows update up to date as well
as definitions. I believe we can add what we want  to this package as the
landscape changes (I.e. SP2, etc) Since many of the machines coming in were
still, are still not Blaster patched, but I am expecting that we should
start seeing that pretty soon. You would not believe the people who decline
the offer (it is $25, and includes going through the initial bootup of XP,
personalization, and some performance tweaking as well. Some techs have even
automated to a point with batch files.
Ironically the corporation has just pulled the store MSN dialup accounts
that we used to obtain these tools, and many of us are wondering what to do
next (We use our own account for now). We are hearing they might bring in
broadband for us in the future but we will see. Also we use a isolated
machine to bring patches in on the store T1 and then burn CD (on a NT4.0
machine no less) and then transfer that data to the techbench PC, where we
work on burning rollout and patching cds for our use and to load our "thumb
drives".
Even though they charge, I am impressed that they are trying to protect the
customers up front, rather than making money after the fact fixing the
systems.
john