[Dshield] Are virus writers and spammers working together?

attechni attechni at attechnical.com
Tue Dec 9 12:26:54 GMT 2003

Are virus writers and spammers working together?
It looks like they are geting alot closer to proving the corelation between
spammers,and virus writers.

In a article by Antone Gonsalves. That is posted at Tech Web. I quote Antone
Gonsalves saying in the article.
(The use of viruses to commandeer personal computers on the Internet for
relaying spam is a trend that started this year and is expected to escalate
in 2004, an e-mail security company said Friday.

 In the last six months, MessageLabs Inc. has seen a steady rise in the use of
spam and virus techniques in sending out junk e-mail hawking drugs,
pornography and sexual enhancements.

The Minneapolis-based company, which filters corporate e-mail for spam and
viruses, intercepts about 27 spam messages a second today, up from two per
second at the same time last year. Sixty-six percent of those messages are
generated from PCs that have been taken over by spammers without the
knowledge of the computers' owners, Mark Sunner, chief technology officer for
MessageLabs, said. ) The article is available here.
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20031205S0009
There is another short but interesting article on RAT infested PC's from Dec.3
here.
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5113080.html

W32/Sobig-F is the one that someone keeps trying to send to me. I am lucky I
have managed to get the amount reduced from 3 a day to 1 by using filters in
Spamassisn. I am so glad that you guys recommended This little Dutch Boy with
his finger in the Dam to switch over to Linux. As most of what has came
through the pipe. So far(and I say that with fingers crossed.) Can't make my
system even sneeze. In the meantime as all of this was happening I have been
learnigning Perl and CGI Programming. I would like to lern more about system
security and IP Chains. And I am attempting to do so. I also would like to
participate in logging. And sending my logs to D-Shield. Unfortunatly my
router is not a Linyk sys one it is a Belkin so I am going to have to wait
untill I program something for it. I Guess? Any advice on this would be
appreciated,                   Thanks  atius
I am allways checking though. And allways scanning the system for virili.