[Dshield] LinkSys, WWW server, and IP addresses...

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 22:07:26 GMT 2003

Eric,

I use Logviewer but I don't  put any faith in the accuracy of the output
from the Logviewer GUI.

Furthermore I have found that when either the incoming or outgoing log
file reaches its maximum size of  ~51kb that is has to be manually
emptied, i.e. there is no automatic FIFO overwrite built into the
Logviewer software.

I assume that when you say you are  "Looking at...." the files  you are
inspecting them with  a text editor and not relying on what the
Logviewer GUI shows you.

As you may be aware, on the BEFSR41 there are two ways to expose
services to your Internet facing connection, a) DMZ which exposes all
ports on the selected internal IP addr, and b) port mapping which only
exposes the specific ports you designate.  If you have only a few ports
to open and you are using a) you might want to switch to b) and see if
that makes a difference

You may want to check your version of the BEFSR firmware and the
Logviewer software against what Linksys has as their  current versions
to make sure you are up to current revel levels.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International