[Dshield] mail1.giac.net spamcop listed

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Fri Dec 12 01:18:49 GMT 2003

Thanks for everyone's patience while we had the spamcop issue.
My patience started to wear thin as we had no success contacting
everyone. But well, I have been on the other side of such
issues with DShield, and its one of the reasons I am a bit
reluctant to offer a comprehensive block list based on DShield
data. So while I am a bit angry at them for not responding, I
do understand the difficulties involved.

Even though spamcop clearly states (www.spamcop.net/bl) that the
list should not be used for production servers, people do.

> Does DShield use a closed-loop signup system?

Whenever you sign up to our mailing list, or to DShield itself,
we first verify your e-mail address by sending you your userid
or a validation email.

The system is more or less 'self serve', where you can unsubscribe
yourself from this list, or mailings like submission confirmations
and daily report summaries. There are about 1-2 people a day that
ask for help with this process. It is possible that one of these
requests doesn't get dealt with in a timely manner.

Just the mailing list alone generates easily 10-50k outbound e-mails
a day, in addition to 70k outbound DShield emails. So its not that
unusual to trip a spam filter here or there.

phone: (617) 786 1563
  fax: (617) 786 1550                          jullrich at sans.org